In just a few more days, Northside will be celebrating Children's Book Week. We are already in the throws of planning our events, as it has become tradition that I have activities to help students celebrate all throughout the week. These activities, though, cannot require my teachers to do anything extra, since they are already so busy. So I have created a website that outlines our plans, and I encourage you to visit for details and specifics. I will list here "brief" descriptions, but please visit the weblink if you are looking for a more detailed explanation.
Just this week, I have kids submitting entries for the poster contest. Their instructions are to draw about whatever they like to read about--as many as they would like to submit. On Monday, November 13, classes will visit a large display where they can see the top six entries up for their grade's winning poster. Each class will vote on the winner from their grade. We will have a winning poster for each grade, and each winner will be getting a poster-sized rendition of their entry, as well as a $10.00 Gift card to Books-a-Million, one of our school business partners. These will be awarded on Friday.
We have two dress up day acivities too, Tuesday and Thursday. Tuesday, everyone is asked to wear their pajamas to school to participate in the annual Pajama Party read aloud. Teachers are asked to team together and swap classes to have their bedtime stories shared. On Thursday, we will have back by popular demand our annual favorite book character dress-up day. We will take many pictures of the characters, and make a video "parade" to share on our morning news program Friday. I am even considering an award for the best "character" who comes to school---kids voting, of course.
Wednesday we will have a book swap. Kids are currently bringing in "gently used" books to get tickets. On book swap day, they can bring their ticket to get a slightly used--or rather gently used book. I have already had one student donate 30 books, and he plans to give everyone in his class at least one ticket.
Friday will be winner day, and we will announce all the winners on our morning news program. There will be daily trivia Monday-Thursday, and we will draw names from the students who have answered each days' trivia question correctly. The trivia questions will not be questions at all. Instead I will read the opening lines of very popular books, and students will have to figure out the title of the book. Before the questions, though, I will show in a short video intro roughly twenty favorites, and the introduction of the book read will be one of those books showcased in the video.
As you can see, we have a lot of fun activities planned, and hopefully I'll be able to share some photos from our week of fun here on this blog.
Children's Book Week
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment