Sunday, November 19, 2006

CBW--a Recap! & Plans for this SHORT week

Well, Children's Book Week is finally over. It was a BUSY week with scheduled classes, a half day workday in the mix, and so many activities going on! Here is a recap.

Poster Contest:
In the two weeks prior to Children's Book Week, all our kids were encouraged to do a pencil/paper drawing of what it is they would like to have "more books" about in the library. The theme of CBW was "More Books, Please." The sudents submitted drawings, and the top six were selected and placed on a ballot for a vote. Each grade had six finalists. They are (with winners in red):

  • Kindergarten: Caitlyn M., Katelyn F., Noah C., Alfredo H., Rayna C., & Nya A.
  • 1st Grade: McKenzie T., Jalen H., Walker H., Rosario E., Seth N., & Melany R.
  • 2nd Grade: James S., Michelle V., Tyrei M., Jordan N., Briana T., and Abigail D.
  • 3rd Grade: Angel S., Manuel V., Tommy T., Breanna B., Ryan W., and Michael M.
  • 4th Grade: Ashlyn T., Teddy H., Robert N., Pamela B., Holly M., & Khalil J. (NOTE: this is Teddy's second win in a CBW ar contest.)
  • 5th Grade:, Ranisha J., Blake P., Kaurie P., Allan R., Tiffany S. , & Dijuan U. (NOTE: This is Allan's third win in three years for a CBW art contest.)

Each winner recieved a poster sized copy of their entry that will be dispalyed in school through January. They also received a $10.00 gift card to Books a Million.

Trivia Contest:
Each day during this special week at school the library conducted a trivia contest where the students had to listen to the opening lines of a favorite children’s book, and be able to identify the title. I made a video clip that began wih a series (maybe 20) popular book covers, and explained that the trivia contest answers would be one of the showcased book covers. The contest objective was to listen to the opening page (or paragraph) of one of the books, and name the title. Each day, Monday through Thursday, students submitted answers. Many students turned in correct responses. We read the opening lines for Click, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type, The Recess Queen, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and The Polar Express. I drew a name for each question on Friday. The winners (listed below) won $10.00 gift cards to Books A Million. The winners were Cameron R., Samya C., Peyton S., and Michael B. I had hundreds of names in the drawing for each book EXCEPT Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. That one was tricky though, because the opening page only had one line that went like this: "I thought he'd never leave." I only had around thirty students in that drawing.

Book Swap:
We had three or four parents bring many boxes of gently used books. We had so many in fact, that every student was able to select a book on book swap day, even if they did not donate a book. COOL!

Videos, Pictures, and other ways to remember CBW 2006 & Dress up Days:
If I get my act toget
her this week, maybe I'll post a video or two and pictures of our winners' work, as well as pictures of book character dress up day and Pajama Party read aloud day! These are at school on my school computer and I blog from home.

So what's up this SHORT week at school?

I am charged with editing down two videos made of our Veteran's Day (Eve) Program which will be provided to parents at cost. I also have to attend two fourth grade rehearsals for our music program since I'll be taping it. (It makes it easier to tape when you know ahead of time what is going to happen and when...) I also have to go through PowerPoint bells and whistles with our fifth graders, who will be starting a PPT project. My goal is to wow them with adding pictures, music, sound, voice over, and animation and transitions. The "library" or "literacy" element will be how to site music and or pictures they decide to use. So, as you can see, NO easy week for me, even if it is short.

No comments: