Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Niagara Falls, or Does it?

Wow--what a great story to start the school year off! This book actually begins on the first day of school for Hank, the main character. Hank is not a real fan of school, but you'll have to read the story to find out why. Could it be his sour fourth grade teacher, the principal with a mole that reminds him of the Statue of Liberty (minus her lamp!), or a bully named Nick? Northside students will definitely like this story because Hank finds out that expressing himself with music and creativity come easiest for him, while writing and spelling make him struggle. Now that Northside is called Northside Elementary School of the Arts, this book really fits our school. Hank meets a brand new music teacher who taps right in to Hank's school problems, giving him a way to express himself best. Tell me what you think of Hank's "big splash" in the story!

More interesting notes: Henry Winkler (a co-author) of this story is widely know in film, movies, and tv shows. I remember him best as "Fonzi" from a sitcom show called Happy Days. I used to watch it religiously every Tuesday night as a child! I also remember him from the summer blockbuster "Holes." Henry Winkler was Stanley's father, the one who was so intent on discovering a cure for stinky feet. Who knew not only was he a successful actor and movie star, but he's also a successful writer too. Now I AM impressed! But I learned something else about Mr. Winkler. He had some of the same problems that Hank has in the story. Can anyone read this book and research to tell me what similar problems Mr. Winkler and Hank share?




No comments: