response or comments. I like the way the book is written, with every other chapter being from the perspective of the two main characters, Sarah and Tina. Sarah is a Chinese American who knows no Chinese, and is as American as apple pie, while Tina is totally new to the United States and struggles with her English. She is the most fluent in English in her family. Sarah is dealing with her best friend moving away, while Tina is dealing with being in a new country and a new school. These two become friends even though they are worlds apart. Many assume they are friends because they are both Asian, but they become freinds despite their Asian decent. Some students who have ESL or ESOL classes may be able to relate. I really liked the way the book handled Victoria moving. Victoria, obviously from a disfunctional family, is poor and perhaps neglected. I felt sorry for Victoria, and even Sarah too, because she didn't question Victoria's situation until she was gone. Enjoyed the book!
Friday, June 16, 2006
Honeysuckle House
I finished Honeysuckle House last Sunday, though I have been too busy to post my
response or comments. I like the way the book is written, with every other chapter being from the perspective of the two main characters, Sarah and Tina. Sarah is a Chinese American who knows no Chinese, and is as American as apple pie, while Tina is totally new to the United States and struggles with her English. She is the most fluent in English in her family. Sarah is dealing with her best friend moving away, while Tina is dealing with being in a new country and a new school. These two become friends even though they are worlds apart. Many assume they are friends because they are both Asian, but they become freinds despite their Asian decent. Some students who have ESL or ESOL classes may be able to relate. I really liked the way the book handled Victoria moving. Victoria, obviously from a disfunctional family, is poor and perhaps neglected. I felt sorry for Victoria, and even Sarah too, because she didn't question Victoria's situation until she was gone. Enjoyed the book!
response or comments. I like the way the book is written, with every other chapter being from the perspective of the two main characters, Sarah and Tina. Sarah is a Chinese American who knows no Chinese, and is as American as apple pie, while Tina is totally new to the United States and struggles with her English. She is the most fluent in English in her family. Sarah is dealing with her best friend moving away, while Tina is dealing with being in a new country and a new school. These two become friends even though they are worlds apart. Many assume they are friends because they are both Asian, but they become freinds despite their Asian decent. Some students who have ESL or ESOL classes may be able to relate. I really liked the way the book handled Victoria moving. Victoria, obviously from a disfunctional family, is poor and perhaps neglected. I felt sorry for Victoria, and even Sarah too, because she didn't question Victoria's situation until she was gone. Enjoyed the book!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment